Friday, March 5, 2010

And the winner is...steel cut oats

The Yankees spring training opener was on Wednesday, which rolled right into Trivia Night at the pub at which BF and I were planted. So beers were had, though I tried to pace myself. And most of those beers wound up being free, because BF and I won the trivia challenge! Yay for otherwise useless Oscar knowledge and word puzzle abilities! 

Balanced that day of inactivity with a run in Central Park yesterday. The snow is gradually melting as the temps get into the mid-40s. Was good to be out there, though I was initially focused on not mucking up my new running shoes. On Cindy's recommendation, I went to Jackrabbit Sports to get myself properly fitted for a shoe. They give you a neutral shoe and set you up on a treadmill to film you running. There is a small camera focused on your legs so they can evaluate your stride, footfall, etc. Then they bring out a couple different models based on that information and let you repeat the treadmill video session. Based on what they see and your own feedback of what feels good on your foot, consensus is reached. I ended up in an Asics, which I've worn for the last couple years, though a different line. It cracked me up that it took someone coming to NYC from TX to point me towards a shop 2 blocks from my house. (Oh that store next to the Starbucks I always stop at on my way to the subway?? Who knew?)

Just finished my brekkie of steel cut oats. So good and good for you, too! Oatmeal is my default filling and nutritious breakfast, as well as my get-back-on-track reset meal. I'm running a 5k this weekend, which I'll post about next week. It's also Oscar night and there will be wine. Have to strive for some balance. Enjoy in moderation, as they say. 

That could sum up my whole FitQuest, what I'm really working on is incorporating everything in moderation.  I don't want to cut anything out that I don't plan on cutting out forever. I don't want to over-commit myself to unachievable 3-hour daily workouts. I don't want to get on a rollercoaster of deprivation followed by free-for-all, repeat. And I want to be aware of the indulgences I'm incorporating, to better compensate for them before and after. For example, in the coming week my focus will be on more runs and oats and less televised sports and drinks. 

I'm excited for Spring! More outdoor running, long walks. Greenery and blue skies versus murky, gray overcast.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I'm so happy that spring is coming too...the past few days have been sun shining and my spirits have definitely lifted...can't wait to be running again! Good luck with that 5K!

    ReplyDelete