Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Shake It, Don't Break It

Hola rockers! Dreary rain here today. I snapped this photo, I like to call "Signs of Spring," as I was walking along the river this misty morning. So exciting to see the trees beginning to bud/bloom!

Even though my "official" (according to me) weigh-in will occur next Tuesday, I am happy to report the month of March has been a good one weight-wise, so far. (So, Self, don't go blowing it this last week!) Each Tuesday has seen a new low on the scale. Not massive new lows, but about a pound a week, which is what I claim to be aiming for, but honestly will take what I can get. But it's nice to see anything lower than the week before and nice to see a low number not yet seen (this time around!)

Last week the FitQuest revolved around loads of walking. I think between running and walking, the mileage for the week came out to about 39 miles. I haven't been to any classes at the gym lately, so I was thinking I needed to get some strength and yoga in soon. I also wanted to incorporate some longer (slower) non-stop runs, a la One Hour Runner.

I'm happy to report that yesterday I was successful on 2 of those fronts. First, after digesting brekkie of coffay and steel cut oats (I like mine with a little milk and maple syrup), I tuned in to Channel 1025. Here in NY that is TimeWarner's Exercise on Demand channel. I've been reading so many bloggers mention they do Jillian's 30-Day Shred at some point in their week, that I had to get in on that action. So I did Level 1, which was about 20 minutes. I used my 8-lb dumbbells for most moves, but had to modify/improvise with some 2.25-lb. cans of tomatoes (I weighed them on my digital kitchen scale).

After that, I went to the treadmill (it was monsoon season out there!) and ran for 30 minutes non-stop. Luckily the Yankee game was on and I had some fun music in (remember that song "Jump, Jump" by Kris Kross?? The little dudes who wore their clothes backwards? Good times.) I ran most of it at 5.0mph (12-minute mile), but about halfway through, went down to 4.8mph and then returned to 5.0 for the last 5 minutes.

I am really sore today, but in a good way. So I guess the title of the post should be "Shred it, don't break it", but that's not really a saying.

1 comment: