Sunday, March 21, 2010

Walk, Run, Shoot (photos, that is!)

Things have been going well since I got over my horrible pre-Spring cold. I've been tracking my food daily and monitoring my caloric deficit, so it's all good. The weather has been so freaking fabulous, I have been walking and walking and walking just to soak it in. There was one 11-mile trek almost to the George Washington Bridge up the paths along the Hudson River. I say "almost to" because we had gotten a late start and it was nearing 5:00 when we decided to turn back to avoid finding ourselves walking along the river after dark. Here's the view of the bridge in the distance.


With the weather being so nice, it's been a good week or 2 since I set foot in the gym. So I'm in dire need of some strength training, which I usually get in with a weekly conditioning class or doing a solo session of moves learned in that class. I guess I'm in a sort of seasonal transition. I need to revisit the Fitness Spreadsheet and reassess.

This is Grant's Tomb, from the 11-mile trek up Riverside







This is the Civil War Memorial, also from the 11-mile trek
(who knew there was so much history on view walking up Riverside Drive?)






Thermy of See Thermy Run is doing the One Hour Runner program, which a lot of people use as a follow-up to C25k. I went right from C25k into a mileage based program and have kind of been hitting the wall with it, so I'm thinking of backing up and adding the OHR, or at least incorporating it into a customized program of my own design. For calorie burn, I've been focusing more on intervals - running at a faster pace than I can really sustain for too long, interspersed with walk breaks. This also alleviates my ADD/boredom. But I do want to work on building up distance and sustaining a comfortable pace as well. So I think I might make one run per week the OHR run, probably the long run of the 3 weekly runs that program suggests. They start at 30 minutes of non-stop running and gradually build up to 60 minutes (hence the name) by adding a few minutes to each run over 10 weeks.


This week though, I ran 4 miles twice and then did the 11-mile walk, then did a 7-mile walk with a friend. And yesterday did an 8-mile walk with another friend. Good to have friends who want to catch up over a walk! Or if those friends are busy, it's good to have a 4-legged friend who likes to walk. (No, dear Reader, I am not sticking my tongue out at you...that's at the BF who took the photo. And took his time walking behind me as I tried to hustle us home before nightfall.)







3 comments:

  1. There are some great shots there! It's a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a lot of walking/running! Sounds like you are definitely feeling better. How is the Body Bugg working for you? I'm curious about it, but not sure I want to invest the $$$$. Specifically, how do you input your food intake for the day? I usually eat leftovers from dinner for lunch, and it's tempeh and veggies, so I wonder how I would input that. I can't say, for example, that I ate 4 oz of chicken with 1 cup of lettuce and an apple, for example. Does it have to be very specific when you log your food intake?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ish, I'll post about it w/screen shots. I like it for the exercise/step tracking - it encourages me to move more. The food interface is fairly simple and you can add things to the database, so once your foods are in there, it's a snap. I also have a digital kitchen scale, which helps in the proper tracking.

    ReplyDelete