Thursday, February 4, 2010

We're gonna need some chocolate milk here...

Mmmmm,  chocolate milk. I was just reading a study touting the benefits of chocolate milk as a post-endurance training recovery drink. Apparently, relative to most bottled recovery drinks, chocolate milk boasts double the protein and carbohydrate content, plus calcium. The article ends with the researcher's comment that "it's an incredibly effective recovery drink - even though it's never been marketed as one..." 

Well, I bet it won't take too long for that to happen. In fact, I predict food scientists and the marketers that promote their creations will take it a step further by enhancing good old chocolate milk to make it even better...Now with twice the sodium chloride!

There's a really great local dairy whose milk and eggs I've bought at various Farmers' Markets here in NYC that makes an amazing chocolate milk. Their stuff is non-homogenized and sold in glass bottles, so you have to shake shake shake it to get all the creamy goodness mixed together properly. The chocolate milk tastes like a milkshake. Yum! Luckily it's not like real ice cream, where I could easily eat a pint (quart?) and call it a night. I just have a glass after my longer runs and it's surprisingly satisfying and filling. 

I was a little hesitant the first time I picked up a bottle to take home. The ghosts of dichotomies past whispering, "baaaad food, baaaaad..." in my ear. And as a wino, er, wine lover, I already drink too many of my calories in a given day, though I am trying to be one of those in-moderation types (one day at a time). But I figure I'll give the choco miracle a whirl and see how it goes.

Today I ran 5 miles (woo hoo!) and I really enjoyed the creamy treat. A couple years ago, when I first got into running, I had several episodes of post-run vomiting when I got up to running beyond 5 miles. Not every time, but it happened 3 or 4 times and I know it had something to do with the way I was (or was not) fueling my body. So we'll see how this goes.

On an unrelated note, I've been trying to spend time reading some new fitness and/or weight loss blogs. It's great relating to someone you don't know, but with whom you seem to have so many things in common. My problem is I like to read through the Archives, so I: 
  1. take a long time to get to comment in The Present 
  2. don't follow too many blogs because I'm stuck in someone's 2006 Holiday struggle

What are your most frequently followed blogs? Would love any suggestions...


5 comments:

  1. I've got a list of my RSS reads here:

    http://www.andrewisgettingfit.com/blogs-i-read/

    You feature! I find all these folks inspiring to be honest.

    And hmm, chocolate milk! I'm not really a milk fan but I think I could make an exception for chocolate milk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrew! I've actually found a few good ones through your links. Your food post today cracked me up when you mentioned disliking milk as I had just posted this Ode to (Chocolate) Milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to eat my calories so as much as I love chocolate milk I just can't justify to fit it into my daily calories. Plus the whole purpose of my runs is to burn calories. If I end up replenishing all of it right after a run the whole running was a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chocolate milk just sounds a-maaa-zing. Which farmer's market was it? I'd love to check it out next time I'm in NY.

    I'm not up to running 5 miles yet but I'm working on it. What DO you like to eat before a run?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Greenmarket in Union Square in NYC is my fave. Lots of chefs in the fab restaurants surrounding it shop there regularly.

    I don't eat anything special, just try not to eat right before a run. (Yesterday I drank too much coffee before heading out and had some issues.)

    ReplyDelete