Saturday, April 17, 2010

Facts of Life

You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life...

Natalie was always my favorite. I was pleased to read in her adult, post-Facts life she has declined to appear in so-called "celebreality" shows, such as Celebrity Fit Club.

Anyway. Life is what happens when we are making other plans. My April was breezing along wonderfully. I was cutting out Rest days from my routine, instead opting for lighter intensity days. Incorporating more strength training courtesy of the Exercise on Demand channel. Motivating myself to get to my favorite yoga class weekly. And mixing up my running routine with new routes in the Park, as well as completing the weekly long run from the One Hour Runner program. (Yesterday I did the 38-minute nonstop run at 5.2 mph.)

And the weekly weigh-ins continue to reflect new lows. Huzzah! Until...

I got a job! Woo hoo! Months of searching, interviewing, trying to compose thoughtful thank you notes and keep myself in clean interview suits. I'm thoroughly overjoyed with the company and the position....yet, change is scary, too. When will I run? What will I eat? I've worked for years before this (comparatively) brief period of unemployment and obviously had routines to make sure I got workouts in, lunches to eat, etc. so clearly I can reestablish those routines in the new gig.

But routines take time to develop. And I know initially my focus will be on navigating the company, adjusting to early days again, readjusting to corporate dress (as opposed to all yoga pants all the time). So I'm not going to go into denial mode (calorie? what is this calorie you speak of? running schedule? como?), yet I can't really maintain the focus a 0-hour workweek allowed, either. I'm aiming for a Pause button or temporary maintenance.

In the weeks ahead, I will create a new exercise agenda, plan work-friendly lunches, etc. But for now, I will shoot for some pre-work, shorter runs or fitness videos and rely on some healthy, convenient staples for eating (like the Starbucks yogurt I love, Luna bars, fruit, sandwiches on whole grain bread) until I discover what's on offer near the office, what the office kitchen offers in terms of chilling and heating capabilities, etc.

Change is good!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Diet (the food bit and the exercise bit) is always more tricky if you have to deal with a life too - but planning is definitely key. You can do it!

    love
    Peridot

    ReplyDelete