Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Running on empty


I find this photo inspiring. There's water behind her, greenery. She's got her water. And it doesn't look very hot outside. When I do encounter "optimal" running conditions outside, I don't think I appreciate them. I was running on vacation in London a few months ago, but instead of experiencing it as a fit and fun way to see the sights and take in the local vibe, as a fitness magazine might suggest as a tool to not gain weight on vacation, instead I just felt like everything was really far away. Or had thoughts such as: When will this song be over? How long have I been running? How red is my face? Look at how fast that dude is! 

I always enjoy it afterwards. And am glad I did it. Honestly it does help me when traveling. At least it clears my head and sets me up to want to eat fairly well the rest of the day. I think I just have this idealist vision in my head of effortlessly running among the landmarks that I never experience in reality.

I've been doing this about a month now and seem to have fallen into a groove.  Running via the C25k program 3 times per week. (Just started Week 6 today.) One strength class and one yoga class per week, typically. And lots of walking added in whenever possible. Foodwise, I'm just eating and drinking (ahem) as consciously as I can. Tracking calories. 1900 per day on average, sometimes more or less. Not putting any food on a "Do Not Eat" list. Slow going. Which is what I say I want. Until I step on the scale. Then I have to talk myself off the ledge and remind myself about the marathon versus sprint, living on a plan I can live with for the long haul, weekly weigh-ins only data points, blah, blah, etc. Knowing all that intellectually is all well and good. I need to feel it and live it intrinsically though. 

One final note. If I really want to avoid a funk, I should not compare my weight or weightloss (or lack thereof) with others.  Like, I should not, for instance, have my boyfriend get on the scale so I can see that I've got a good 12 lbs on him! I really did not need that information today!

No comments:

Post a Comment