Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bubble Bath



I began Week 2 of Couch to 5K today. Decided to take advantage of another sunny Fall day here in NY and run in Central Park. (Dear Central Park, I like water all year round. Why do you shut off the water fountains after Summer? You know I'm too uncoordinated to lug a water bottle or strap one of those water-lugging belts around my waist!)

So this week's program consists of 90 second run interval followed by a 2 minute brisk walk interval. I listen to a great podcast by Suz in which she's broken down the program week by week and set it to great music, mostly hip-hop and some 80's. It really makes the session fly. And is a lot more fun than trying to program my watch to beep annoyingly at me when it's time to switch from run to walk. I have a link under my "Mojo" section.

Or I could just link to it in this post....but that assumes I know how to do that. I need to get some blog skillz! (ETA: I figured out the link situation, woo hoo!) I started this because I got so much inspiration from reading the blogs of other Fit Questers, but only finally posted something after much flailing about worrying about how wiz-bang-wow other blogs were. Yeah. One day at a time. I will make it better, flashier, more informative. All in good time.

So Tuesday is my weigh-in day. I am down 1.6 pounds today. Hooray! I know most weight loss bloggers have cool info boxes about where they started, how far they've come, and what program they're on. That's something I'll add to, eventually, I suppose. But since it's pretty much just me reading at the mo, I'll put some basics here in a separate post, right after I publish this one. (Otherwise it will be waaaay too looooong.)

One thing I'm slacking on in my fit quest is strength training. Does anyone like to do it all? It seems I know people who are all cardio, all the time or that are on a program like Body for Life and way into their strength sessions and dread the cardio. So after a week or more of trolling my gym's class schedule, I finally made it to Body Conditioning last night. I survived and have the sore quads/glutes to prove it. It's only an hour and the variety keeps me engaged. The techno music killed me a bit, but after a while, it was just a dull, thudding background and I focused on the instructor dudes cues and the apparently 17,000 muscles he has in his abdominals, all highlighted to perfection behind his form-hugging sporty shirt.

The run session was a bit rough with the sore legs, but I feel proud to have persevered! And for that reason, I rewarded myself with a soothing bubble bath...ahhhh. Hot, steamy, sweet smelling bubbly water, a good book...and me, cramped into the Manhattan mini-version of a bathtub. Oh well. It was still relaxing! For a while...

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog. I had no idea about NY shutting down the water during winter. I was just in NY recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tom! re: water, I know! I went to 3 fountains before I realized the deal.

    ReplyDelete